A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Matthew 23:27-29 "As a Hen Gathers Her Chicks"

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you kill the prophets and stone to death those sent to you! How often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings! But you were not willing! Your house will be abandoned, deserted. I can guarantee that you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’ ”

 Although Jesus said this about Jerusalem, it reflects His heart toward all of His people.  It shows His desire for us.  He longs to gather us under the protection and shelter of His wings as a hen gathers her chicks.  What a wonderful image.

Our problem, as Jerusalem's, is that we don't cooperate.  He longs to protect -we walk away.  He longs to comfort -we seek solace from medications, food, money, entertainment, etc.  He longs to shelter us from the storms -we demand our own way.  He longs for us simply to rest in Him -we are not willing.

The result of our unwillingness is spiritual and emotional abandonment.  Our spiritual houses become barren and deserted.  It is not that Father is hard-hearted.  He has already expressed His desire to gather us and pour His love out upon us.  It is more that we are hard-headed.  We leave Him no option but to leave us alone.

The Good News is that this isolation is by our design, not His.  If we will draw close to Father, He will draw close to us.  The moment we turn our hearts toward Him, He is there waiting with open arms.    He is gently and patiently waiting for our prodigal hearts to head for home.

Father God, help me to draw closer today.  Shelter me under Your wings. Let me rest in Your grace and mercy and abide in Your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment