A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Matthew 19:28-30 "The Greatest and the Least"

Jesus said, “I assure you that when the world is made new and the Son of Man sits upon his glorious throne, you who have been my followers will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.  And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life.  But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.


 Jesus here addresses one of the issues that I sometimes struggle with.  I am now well into "middle age," and have very little to show (materially) for having served God.  I'm not complaining, just acknowledging reality.  I have tried to live my life in service to my King and I have no plan B -there is no backup plan.  I have poured my life into others and held back very little for myself.  And for me, serving God has not resulted in financial security, great health, or even children who love God -and I certainly have not garnered a whole lot of attention or respect or importance.  If serving God is about "blessings and prosperity," I missed the boat somewhere.


Please don't misunderstand; again, I'm not complaining.  I have chosen the life I lead.  And I don't intend to turn back.  I believe that I have chosen correctly.  I sincerely believe that one day -a day I long for -a hope that keeps me going -one day I will stand before my Jesus and He will say, Well Done!"  And that makes everything worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment