A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Calming Storms" Matthew 8:23-27

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"


The disciples experienced a real storm -wind, rain, and waves sweeping over the boat.  Often, the storms in our lives are more emotional and spiritual than literal, but they generally come upon us the same way -without warning, and they have the same affect on us -we panic.

The disciples were consumed with fear, and in a sense, Jesus rebuked them for it.  On the other hand, there was at least one thing here they did right -they went to Jesus.  And when they went to Jesus, He, for their sake, rebuked the storm and restored peace.  Jesus did not rebuke the storm for His own sake, as He was not fearful or panicked; yet, because He felt compassion for His fearful, weak-faithed companions, He rebuked the storm.

I sometimes allow my fears and worries to get the better of me.  The problems of life sometimes overwhelm me and I can't see a solution. 

Lord, help me in these times to come to You, knowing that You are good and kind and compassionate (compassionate, not in spite of my fear and weak faith, but because of it), knowing that even the winds and the waves obey You, knowing that in You alone is the peace I desperately need.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment