A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Matthew 10:34-38 "Worth It"

Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law - a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.  Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

What does it mean when the "Prince of Peace" says, "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword...?"  Why is Jesus saying that He will turn sons against fathers and daughters against mothers? 

I believe that Jesus is describing the obvious outcome when two worlds collide.  The Kingdom of God is worth pursuing, but those pursuing the Kingdom of God will offend and be alienated by those who embrace the kingdom of darkness.

For those who know and follow Jesus there is no question about the peace and security and love and intimacy and joy that occurs inside each of us individually as we enter deeper and deeper into this relationship with God.  Yet there is another reality just as obvious.  The exclusiveness of the Kingdom is offensive to those not walking in the Kingdom.  As a result, unbelieving parents will disregard and even disown children who love Jesus (and visa-versa).   The very things that bring us comfort and peace and joy will be offensive to those who choose to not believe.  Where the Kingdom of God is real, there will be conflict because the Kingdom of God by definition stands in contrast to the kingdom of darkness.

We can see these words of Jesus as a warning -but we can also see them as a promise.  Jesus is saying that although we will often be opposed and sometimes even persecuted, it is worth it.  A right relationship with Father through the shed blood of Jesus makes the conflict, even family conflict, even conflict that results in persecution and death, worth it.  That is the promise Jesus is making.  It is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment