A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Matthew 12:18-21 "Bruised Reeds & Smoldering Wicks"

This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:
"Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
He will not quarrel or cry out;
no one will hear his voice in the streets.
A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he leads justice to victory.
In his name the nations will put their hope."


 One of the guiding principles of my life is that as a disciple/apprentice of Jesus, I am to emulate Him and learn to live and think like Him.  We who are Believers are being transformed into His likeness.  We are His continuing presence in this world.  He speaks and acts through us, His Body.

It saddens me to see so many "Christians" refusing to be led by His Spirit, quarreling with anyone who will listen,  taking it upon themselves to break off every bruised reed and snuff out every smoldering wick, not even noticing that they are putting their hope in governments and politics instead of in His name.

The heart of Jesus (and the heart He desires to put in us) is to redeem and restore.  This happens, not through manipulation and argument, rather, through unreasonable love and undeserved grace and mercy -which He lavishes on all who turn to Him.

When will we learn the reality of what Paul wrote to the church in Ephesus: "Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

No comments:

Post a Comment