A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Matthew 18:45-46 "The Kingdom Is Like...(part four)

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.  When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.


 As with the man who found treasure in the field, this man sold everything he had in order to own and possess something of even greater value.  The difference here is that this man did not just happen upon a fine pearl; he was actively looking and seeking.


I believe this works in the same two ways the last parable did.  First I am the merchant seeking -I am seeking truth -I am seeking God, and I discover the Kingdom of God.  I discover grace and mercy and God's incredible, overwhelming, unconditional love.  I lay down every hope, dream, plan and agenda for my own life that I ever had or imagined because to be loved by God and to be considered His child and to take part in His Kingdom is worth more than life itself.


Second, God was actively seeking me (and you).  He desires us.  He wants us to be His.  And Jesus gave up everything -He left heaven, laid His deity aside, was born as a helpless baby in a countryside lamb-birthing shed to a teenaged peasant girl.  He suffered injustice and torture and was falsely accused and died a criminal's death; He gave up everything because He loves me and wants me.  His death and resurrection bought me.  I am His.  I am often doubtful, but He thinks I'm worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment