A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Matthew 21:42-47 "The Cornerstone"

Jesus asked them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:   
   ‘The stone that the builders rejected
      has become the cornerstone.
   The Lord is responsible for this,
      and it is amazing for us to see’?

 That is why I can guarantee that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce what God wants. Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken. If the stone falls on anyone, it will crush that person.”
When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his illustrations, they knew that he was talking about them. They wanted to arrest him but were afraid of the crowds, who thought he was a prophet.


First, the obvious: Jesus is speaking of Himself.  He was rejected by His own people -particularly by the religious leaders and the religious elite -and yet became (according to the Father's plan) the very cornerstone of His Kingdom and the only means by which we can have an intimate, right relationship with Father.

The part of this passage that stands out to me as I read it today, though, is where He says,  "Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken. If the stone falls on anyone, it will crush that person.”  It seems to me that we all fall into one of these two categories -those who here and now are broken by the reality and truth and love of our Savior, and those who deny Him, turn from Him, reject Him, yet one day will bow before Him and be emotionally, spiritually and even physically crushed by the Truth they rejected.  In both cases there is a sense in which we are broken.  In one scenario, however, we are broken and restored and filled with purpose, joy and hope.  In the other, we are broken and hopeless.

Lord Jesus, Thank You for allowing me to be sweetly broken, and wholly accepted.  I gratefully and willingly bow before You here and now and acknowledge that I am Yours -I belong to You.  You are my Master, my King and my Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment