A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Matthew 27:15-25 "Sucked In By The Crowd""

     Now it was the governor’s custom at the Feast to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd.  At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas.  So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?”  For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him....But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.
     “Which of the two do you want me to release to you?” asked the governor.
     “Barabbas,” they answered.
     “What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate asked.  They all answered, “Crucify him!” 

 It is not by accident that in Scripture we (humans) are so often likened to sheep.  Sheep aren't particularly smart; they are easily led -or led astray.  We are like sheep, although unlike sheep who don't think about it at all, we actually think we are smart and often even take great pride in our wrong thinking.

Less than a week previous, the crowds of people -some of the same people no doubt who were gathered here before Pilate demanding Jesus' execution had lined the street entering into Jerusalem from Bethany and waved palm fronds and sang songs and demanded that Jesus be made King.  Some of these folks in the course of a week shouted with adoration and praise and then cursed Him to a cruel death.  How could this be?

I think that the crowds were neither evil nor good exactly -they were just kind of stupid -led along and stirred up by the cultural trends and group dynamics -sucked in by what everyone else was thinking and doing.  When everyone else was adoring and celebrating and running and shouting and cheering, it seemed obvious that Jesus was, indeed, the Messiah.  When the temple leaders were angry and hateful and shouting and cursing, it seemed obvious that Jesus was an imposter.  The leaders were evil; they had an evil agenda.  The mass of people, however, were simply stupid and made the stupidest choice in all of history.

I wonder how often we make really bad choices and draw really flawed conclusions and hold really wrong beliefs simply because the culture informs us what is wrong or right.  We get sucked in.   We are sheep.  We are easily led.  We want to be comfortable.  We want to be normal. We want to fit in.  We go along with the crowd.  We pretend that we are deep thinkers and arrived at our own conclusions...and all the while the devil smirks and grins.

Lord Jesus, I am easily impressed and easily distracted and easily led.  I want to be led by You, distracted by Your glory, impressed by Your goodness.  Help me to hear Your voice and follow You.  I no longer want to follow the crowds and trends.  I admit that I am not wise enough or smart enough to figure out all of the issues -so, I am choosing to simply walk where You walk and go where You go and do what You do.  I am trusting that You will lead me on right paths.  I don't care what the crowds think.  I care what You think.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment