A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Colossians 3:12-13 "Clothing Ourselves"


Colossians 3:12-13.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

This is Paul’s instruction for Believer’s who are truly living in Christian community –Believers who love and care for each other –Believers who sometimes irritate each other.   In a grace filled community, this is how we ought to handle those times when things aren’t working smoothly. We are to bear with one another.

Maybe you’re wondering what it means to bear with one another –how do we do that?  Fortunately, Scripture doesn’t say, "bear with one another-you figure out how."   It gives us the plan. It tells us the steps, the ingredients that go into bearing with one another. Bearing with one another involves compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Those are all good things, aren’t they?  But let's be honest, not very many of us can say we are filled right up to over-flowing with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  

The reality is that on the whole, we don’t have much of those things. I’m not saying we never do –I’m just saying in general, we’re lacking. Sometimes I’m compassionate –other times I see a need and look the other way. Sometimes I’m kind –other times I’m not. Sometimes I’m humble enough –other times I’m down right arrogant. Sometimes I’m gentle –but then there are those moments when I’m very insensitive. Sometimes I’m patient –but then sometimes I want what I want when I want it.

These same basic qualities that Paul tells the Colossians to put on are what Galatians 5:22-23 refer to as fruits of the Spirit. That means these are by-products of living a spirit-filled life. If we are walking with Jesus, listening for Him and responding to Him –if we are as 2 Corinthians 3:18 tells us, being transformed into the likeness of Christ –if we are sincere followers of Jesus, these things will begin showing up in our lives as we become more and more like Jesus.  For now, however, they are not all there all the time. I’m hoping for a day when my natural response to life is to respond with these fruits of the spirit –but for now, I’m a little inconsistent. And so are you –I’ve noticed. In fact, because these things aren’t fully internalized in any of us –and yet they are what is called for in order for us to get along and function as a Christian community –Paul recommends that we clothe ourselves with them.

What this means is that even though these fruits of the Spirit are not fully internalized –none of us is yet completely like Jesus –we still have access to these qualities. Even though they are not fully internalized, we can understand them and see the need for them and grab hold of them and use them appropriately. God has given us that ability. Clothing ourselves means that we can apply them externally. They are still fully functional. The only difference is that when these fruits of the Spirit are fully internalized, these become our natural responses –for now, it requires an act of will –a decision.
Lord Jesus, please help me to make better decisions.  Help me to clothe myself with Your character so that I can function better as Your servant for Your Kingdom's sake.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment