A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Exodus 3&4 "Moses and the Burning Excuses"

In Exodus chapters 3 and 4 we find Moses in the desert tending sheep.  He stumbles across a burning bush -which, as it turns out, was simply God trying to get Moses' attention.  Once He had Moses' attention, God had a job, an assignment, for Moses to do.

You might remember that 40 years earlier Moses had killed an Egyptian and had fled to the desert to escape punishment.  Now, 40 years later, God was asking Moses to go back to Egypt and deliver the Hebrews from slavery.  Moses, afraid, feeling inadequate, believing himself to be a failure, made several excuses.  God, of course had answers for every excuse.  In this exchange between God and Moses, we might catch a glimpse of what God thinks of our own failures, inadequacies and fears.

Let's look at Moses' excuses and God's responses.

First, Moses said: “Who Am I to do such a thing? Who am I?”
Here’s what he meant by that:"I’m a failure, remember –I’ve already blown it –it’s too late for me." And here is God’s response: “I’ll be with you-and you’ll be aware of my presence.”
Here’s what that means to us: God promises to do the same for us. He doesn’t make plans for us, and then send us out on our own –He’s with us. Sure we failed in the past –but now God is with us. That changes everything.

Then Moses said:They won’t believe me.”
Here’s what he meant: "I’m a failure, remember? Who would listen to what I say?”
Here’s how God responded: “Use my name –speak with my authority.”
Here’s what that means to us: What God asks us to do, He gives us the authority to do. We are never asked to do anything for the kingdom without God giving His authority to accomplish whatever He is asking to be done.

Then Moses said, “Nobody will do what I tell them.”
Here’s what he meant by that: “I’m a failure, remember? Why would anybody respond to me?” Here’s how God responded: “Perform this sign.”
Here’s what that means to us: God not only gives us the authority to accomplish His plans –He gives us the ability. He doesn’t ask us to do the impossible –even when it seems impossible. It’s not impossible because God is with us, He gives us the authority, and He gives us the ability. It doesn’t come from us –it comes from Him.

Then Moses said: “I’m not a good speaker.”
Here’s what he meant by that: “I don’t have the skills to do what You’re asking.”
Here’s how God responded: “I made your mouth –I’ll give you the right words.”
Here’s what that means to us: God doesn’t require us to be skillful or talented or smart or rich –He can take care of all of that –all God requires is that we be willing.

Which brings us to Moses’ last excuse: “Please send somebody else.”
Here’s what he meant by that: “The bottom line is that I just don’t want to do it.”
Here’s how God responded: “I’ll send Aaron, your brother to help you.”
Here’s what that means to us: God is willing to work with us –He even takes into account our fears and anxieties –but the bottom line for us is that if we want to follow God, we have no excuse to tell Him “no.” And if we tell Him “no” He will find another way –He always does –but we miss out on what could have been.

So, what about you? Has God asked you to do something significant for His Kingdom? Has He gifted you to impact the lives of others? Has He prepared you to do accomplish great things?

I don’t know the specific answer to those questions –but I know the general answer –It’s Yes. Yes –God has asked you to do something significant for His Kingdom. Yes –God has given you the right gifts to be able to do it (or He will give you the right gifts at the right time). And Yes- God has prepared you and will continue to prepare you to accomplish great things. And Yes, God will give you both the authority and the ability to do whatever He asks. I know those things for certain.

What I don’t know is whether you will make excuses or follow God’s leading. Only you can answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment