A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Matthew 2:1-12

In this passage there are two kinds of people who claim to be worshippers. The Magi saw the signs and the evidence and allowed the signs to point them to Jesus, where they fell down and worshiped.

Herod, on the other hand, became aware of the signs and evidence and claimed a desire to worship, all the while attempting to manipulate and control. He claimed to be a worshiper, yet he continued to seek his own agenda and his own best thinking.

Obviously, what Herod did was wrong -even evil. But I wonder how often we do a similar thing. We try to manipulate and control people, circumstances, and even God in order to accomplish our own agendas.

When we do this, at a deep-down heart level, are we really any different than Herod?

No comments:

Post a Comment