A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

How Salty Are You? (Matthew 5:13)

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?  It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under foot."

It is interesting that the phrase, "salt of the earth," in our modern idiom has come to refer to people who are common and maybe a little crude.  This is clearly not what Jesus meant when He coined the phrase.

In fact, I believe that what Jesus is intending us to understand is that we were created for purpose; we were created special.  Quite the opposite of common and crude.  We were created for community and unity and fellowship and intimacy with God.  In addition, the Bible says that we were created in Christ Jesus for good works.  We created special and with purpose.

But the point Jesus seems to be making is that although we were created special, if we choose, instead, to be common and crude, we really have no purpose for existence.  If we choose to ignore the purposes for which we were created, there is no possibility for fulfillment or meaning -life becomes pointless.

I believe the choice is ours to make.  We can choose to live out of the heart and purpose for which we were created (and retain our saltiness), or we can give up our uniqueness and specialness (and lose our flavor) and end up in pointless and meaningless existence.

I choose to be salty.

Lord, help me to be the unique, special person you created me to be, so that I can fulfill my purpose and fully realize my potential as I live and move and breathe in intimacy, fellowship and unity with You.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. The big man over at the pub doesn't put the free beer nuts out without purpose...they make the patrons thirsty...I will be a beer nut! :-)

    ReplyDelete