A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"Taken Advantage Of?" Matthew 5:38-42

This is where Jesus says, "You've heard it said, 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth,' but I say, if someone slaps you on one cheek, offer him the other as well -and if someone steal your jacket, offer him you shirt too -and give to the one who begs -and don't refuse to let people borrow from you even when you know they will never repay." (paraphrased)

I have often been asked by well meaning friends why I am always allowing people to take advantage of me.  My perspective is that I am not being taken advantage of when I understand what is going on.  I am not being duped.  I am not being deceived.  I am choosing to place my needs and desires on the back burner in order to provide for someone else's.  And, of course, there is a reason I choose to do so.

I believe the issue for some of us is that we really don't grasp the reality that this earthly kingdom and all this earthly stuff -the fortune, the recognition, and all these earthly priorities are temporary and have no lasting value.  This world is not my kingdom, and I will not hold on too tightly to this temporal stuff.  I am a citizen of the Kingdom of God.  I choose, consciously, with my eyes open and with full understanding of the consequences, that my priorities reflect my citizenship.

No comments:

Post a Comment