A Personal Devotional Journal

I invite you to journey with me. Sometimes we will look at short passages of Scripture and I will give my first thoughts and impressions. Other times, I will just share my thinking about spiritual issues. Always, you are welcome to comment and add your thoughts. Together, we could learn something.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Daily Bread" Matthew 6:11

"Give us today our daily bread."

I know quite a few Christians who seem reluctant to ever ask God for anything for themselves -I also know many who always selfishly ask God for self-indulgent things.  A right relationship with God, however, brings balance to our lives.

Here we are instructed to ask God for our daily bread.  Daily bread, of course, is referring to our physical and material needs.  If we are Kingdom minded people, loving God and serving God, it is not selfish to ask God to provide for our legitimate needs.  In fact, it is not wrong to tell God our desires.  What parent would think badly of his son or daughter for speaking of real needs and deep desires?  God is our perfect Father, and not only does He not mind our speaking of such things, He delights in the conversation.

And although this verse is telling us to make our needs known, our Father is so thoughtful and so gracious that He often gives us our desires as well.

Father, provide for me today what I need -You know my needs even better than I do.  I will learn to be content with your provision because I know that You know what is best.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment